ease of preparation and cooking10
availability of ingredients10
specialized cooking utensils required10
Author: Reverend Eric
- 2½ C strong black coffee, room temperature
- 1½ T instant espresso powder
- 9 T dark rum, divided (optional)
- 6 large egg yolks
- ⅔ C sugar
- ¼ t table salt
- 1½ lbs mascarpone cheese
- ¾ C heavy cream (cold)
- 14 ounces ladyfingers
- 3½ T Dutch-processed cocoa
- ¼ C bittersweet chocolate, grated
- Combine coffee, espresso powder and 5 T rum until espresso dissolves.
- Beat egg yolks until smooth add sugar and salt and beat until pale yellow and thick
- Add remaining 4 T rum and beat until combined Add mascarpone and beat until no lumps remain
- Whisk cream and whip to stiff peaks
- Fold ⅓ of whipped cream into eggs to lighten, then fold in remaining whipped cream gently.
- Drop ladyfingers one at a time into coffee mixture quickly roll over then transfer to a 13x9
- Spread half the cream mixture over the cookies
- Sift cocoa over the entire surface.
- Create a second layer of lady fingers then spread remaining cream then sift cocoa over the top
- Refrigerate 6-24 hours before serving.
- Top with grated chocolate just prior to serving